Tuesday, September 29, 2026

How Would You Know If a Message Really Came From God?


This Is Not About Promoting Any Religion

This is not an article to promote any particular religion. I am not trying to tell anyone what they should believe, change anyone's faith, or decide the answer for them. I am simply interested in one question that I think almost everyone can understand, whether they are religious, not religious, or somewhere in between. If someone says, "This message comes from God," how would we know?

It sounds like a simple question, but once I really think about it, it becomes quite interesting. Many of us grow up with certain beliefs because of our parents, family, community or culture. That is completely normal. We learn language the same way. We learn food, traditions and values from the people around us. But when it comes to something as big as God, life, death and what might happen after death, I think it deserves a little more thinking.

The question is not simply, "What did I grow up believing?" The more interesting question is, "How would I test whether a claim about God is actually true?"

Too Many Claims Does Not Mean Truth Is Impossible

Sometimes people say there are simply too many religions and beliefs in the world, so finding the truth is impossible. But I do not think that really follows.

Imagine the police are investigating a crime and there are ten suspects. Would they close the case and say, "Too many suspects. We can never know what happened"? Of course not. They investigate. They check the evidence. They compare the stories. They look at the time, place, witnesses and other information. Some possibilities become weak. Others become stronger. Eventually, they may arrive at the best explanation.

I think the same basic logic can be used for big questions about religion. The fact that many people make different claims does not mean all claims are equally true, and it does not mean truth cannot be investigated. It simply means there is some homework to do.

Sometimes we use confusion as an excuse not to investigate. "There are too many opinions, so forget it." But confusion itself is not evidence. Having many possible answers does not mean there is no correct answer.

Does It Even Claim to Come From God?

Before asking whether a message really came from God, I think there is an obvious first question. Does the message actually claim divine authority in the first place?

This may sound too simple, but it matters. There is a difference between a book that gives wisdom about life and a book that claims, "This message is from the Creator." Those are two very different claims.

Imagine I write a book tonight called The Ultimate Secret of the Universe. Nice title, right? I fill it with good advice about family, kindness, money, exercise and drinking enough water. Maybe millions of people love it. Maybe it even changes lives.

That still does not make it a message from God.

Before I investigate whether something is divine, I would first want to know what kind of claim it is actually making. Is it philosophy, human wisdom, spiritual reflection, or something that clearly presents itself as revelation from God? That is only the starting point, though.

Saying "God Told Me" Is Easy

Now we reach the obvious problem. Anyone can claim something came from God.

I can write another book tomorrow and put on the first page, "This book was revealed directly by God." Done. But obviously, writing those words proves nothing.

This is why I think a claim and evidence must be separated. A person today could write a book with no obvious contradictions, store millions of copies online and preserve it perfectly using modern technology. That still would not prove that the book came from God.

So claiming divine origin is one thing. Proving it is another thing. The bigger the claim, the more reasonable it is to ask for evidence.

If someone tells me, "I had nasi lemak for breakfast," I probably do not need CCTV footage. If someone tells me, "The Creator of the entire universe personally sent this message for humanity," okay, now I have a few questions. Quite a lot of questions, actually.

Does the Message Contradict Itself?

One reasonable test is consistency.

Suppose a text clearly teaches something in one place and later teaches the exact opposite under the same conditions. I would naturally want to ask why.

But I also think we need to be fair. Not every apparent difference is a contradiction. Sometimes two statements are discussing different situations. Sometimes language has more than one meaning. Sometimes context changes the meaning completely.

So I do not think it is reasonable to find two sentences, shout "Contradiction!" and go home. A real contradiction means two claims cannot both be true at the same time and in the same sense.

For me, this distinction matters. A text having no contradiction does not automatically prove it came from God. I could probably write a ten-page story today without contradicting myself. That would not make me a prophet.

But serious and unresolved contradictions would create a problem for something claiming perfect divine knowledge. That seems like a fair standard.

What About the World Around Us?

There is another kind of consistency worth thinking about.

A message can be internally consistent, meaning it does not contradict itself. But what happens if it makes clear factual claims about the world that are demonstrably wrong?

Here is a simple example. Imagine the company that designed your phone produces an official manual saying, "This phone has no battery." You open the phone settings. Battery: 82%. Something has gone wrong.

If someone created something, I would expect that person to understand what they created. In the same way, if a message really came from the Creator of the universe, it would be strange for that message to confidently describe the Creator's own universe in a completely false way.

But I also think we need to be careful here. Ancient language can be poetic. Metaphors exist. Scientific theories can change. People can also force modern science into old texts and claim every sentence predicts some new discovery. That is not good reasoning either.

The better question is simple. Does the text make clear factual claims that seriously conflict with well established reality?

Did the Original Message Survive?

Here is another question that I think people sometimes forget.

Even if God really sent a message long ago, how do we know the version we have today is the same message?

Imagine a teacher writes ten important instructions on a piece of paper. The paper is copied by students. Then copied again. Then again. Hundreds of years pass. Some words are added, removed or changed.

Eventually we might still have something valuable. But can we confidently say every sentence is exactly what the teacher originally wrote? That becomes a historical question.

For me, preservation matters because once an original message becomes mixed with later human changes, it becomes harder to know which parts came from the original source and which parts came from later editors or communities.

So if I am seriously investigating an ancient religious message, I would want to ask questions such as: Who recorded it? How early was it recorded? Are there early copies? How was it transmitted? Were there multiple versions? Can changes be identified? Do we know where the text came from?

These are not insulting questions. They are normal historical questions. In fact, we ask the same type of questions when studying ancient political speeches, historical documents or old literature.

Would Divine Guidance Be Impossible to Find?

Another question I find interesting is this. If God intended to guide humanity, especially if humans were expected to respond to that guidance, would the message be almost impossible for humanity to discover?

Imagine the one true message from God exists, but only three people living deep inside an unknown forest have access to it. Meanwhile, billions of people live and die without even hearing about it. That would raise an obvious question about accessibility.

This does not mean truth must always be easy. Mathematics can be difficult. Science can be difficult. Understanding history can be difficult. Searching for truth may require serious effort.

But there is still a difference between something being difficult and something being practically impossible to find. If a message is meant for humanity, I think it is reasonable to ask whether humanity has a fair opportunity to encounter and examine it.

Feelings Are Real, But Are They Proof?

People sometimes explain religious belief through personal experiences. "I felt something." "I had a dream." "I felt peace." "I felt that God was speaking to me."

These experiences may be deeply meaningful to the person who experiences them. I do not think we should automatically laugh at them or pretend emotions have no value.

But there is a problem if we try to use personal feelings as universal proof. People from completely different beliefs can all report powerful spiritual experiences. Two people can have opposite beliefs and both say, "I feel strongly that I am right." Both feelings cannot prove two contradictory claims.

So my view is simple. A personal experience may be meaningful for the person who experienced it, but if we are trying to establish a claim for everybody else, we should look for evidence that others can also examine.

Otherwise the conversation becomes very short. "How do you know?" "I feel it." "Okay." Conversation finished.

What Evidence Goes Beyond Human Ability?

Now the question becomes more interesting.

Anyone can claim revelation. Humans can write books. Humans can create beautiful philosophy. Humans can preserve information. Humans can build communities around ideas.

So what would make a divine claim different? I think we should ask whether there is something about the evidence that goes beyond what an ordinary human being could reasonably produce, predict or construct.

This does not mean we must immediately accept every story about miracles. Stories themselves must also be investigated.

Instead, I would ask broader questions. What evidence does the message offer for itself? Are there historical claims that can be checked? Does it make unusual predictions? Is there something about its content, transmission or origin that requires explanation? Is the evidence public, or does everything depend on trusting one person's private story?

Most importantly, could an intelligent human being realistically produce the same thing? These questions do not automatically give us an answer. But they help separate extraordinary claims from ordinary ones.

Be Careful With Your Own Bias

Here is where things become uncomfortable.

It is very easy to investigate someone else's beliefs. We become Sherlock Holmes. "Where is your evidence?" "What is your source?" "Are you sure?" "What about this contradiction?" Very impressive.

Then someone asks the same questions about our own beliefs. Suddenly we become defence lawyers. "Well... you have to understand the context."

Maybe the context really does matter. But the important thing is to use the same standard fairly. If an argument sounds weak when someone else uses it, it should not suddenly become strong when it supports our own beliefs.

This is probably one of the hardest parts of searching for truth. Our brain does not always ask, "What is true?" Sometimes it asks, "How can I defend what I already believe?" Those are not the same question.

What If You Were Born Somewhere Else?

Here is a simple thought experiment I sometimes find useful.

Imagine you were born in another country, into another family, speaking another language and surrounded by a completely different religious culture. What would you probably believe today?

That question does not prove your current belief is false. Not at all. Truth does not become false simply because we learned it from our parents.

But the question should make us a little more humble. If our birthplace strongly influences what we believe, then perhaps we should examine our beliefs rather than assuming we would obviously have discovered them independently.

It is worth asking ourselves: Do I believe this because I investigated it, or mainly because this is what everyone around me believes? Maybe the answer is both. That is okay too. The important thing is being honest about it.

Think Like an Investigator

For me, perhaps the best attitude is to stop thinking like a supporter for a while and think like an investigator.

A supporter begins with the conclusion. "My side is correct. Now let me collect arguments." An investigator starts differently. "I want to know what is actually true."

That means sometimes accepting uncomfortable evidence. It means being willing to say, "I used to think this was a strong argument. Actually, it is not."

It can also mean the opposite. "I used to dismiss this idea. But after looking at the evidence, maybe I dismissed it too quickly."

That is not weakness. That is intellectual honesty. The goal should not be to win an argument online. The goal should be to understand what is true.

Do the Research Yourself

Maybe there really is a message from God. Maybe there is not. I am not trying to decide that question for anyone through this article.

But if the question matters, I think it deserves more than a few TikTok videos, an angry debate on social media, something somebody forwarded on WhatsApp at 2 a.m., or simply saying, "This is what my family has always believed."

Read. Compare. Check original sources where possible. Study history. Listen to people who believe, but also listen to serious critics. When someone makes an argument, check whether the evidence actually supports it. Do not accept something simply because you like the conclusion, and do not reject something simply because the conclusion makes you uncomfortable.

Most importantly, be sincere.

Do not begin your research by deciding what answer you must reach. Begin with the question you genuinely want answered. Follow the evidence as fairly as you can. Ask difficult questions, including difficult questions about your own beliefs.

At the end of the day, nobody can do that search for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment